Most people associate August with Back to School but August is a perfect time to begin the slow down of summer and really concentrate on your family.
August is Family Fun Month.
Take this month to sit down and really enjoy what is most important to you! I have created a list of some family fun activities you can do all month long!
- Pajama Party- Everyone in their comfy Pajamas all day long.
- Movie Night- Pick a family flick everyone will enjoy, pop some popcorn and relax.
- Canvas Painting- Buy a large canvas and let everyone finger paint on the canvas. You might end up with a pretty cool painting to hang in your home for everyone to see and enjoy!
- Family Bike Ride- Set out on a new adventure and try a new bike trail your family has never been on.
- Bowling Day- Take the whole family bowling!
- Putt Putt Day- Have a fun little putt putt competition.
- Bake cookies together- THE WHOLE FAMILY
- Family Dinner- Take everyone to the store and let them help pick the ingredients for a special family dinner, then go home and cook it TOGETHER!
- Game Night- Board Games, Card Games, or even Nerf Gun games. Just make this game night without the TV/Wii, etc.
- Field Trip Day- Take the family on a field trip. Somewhere you have never been before. Maybe a museum, a little road trip to a smaller town, anywhere new for everyone!
- Tie Dye matching Tshirts together to wear on your PJ night!
- Camp out in the backyard- Pitch a tent and get to camping!
- Go on a picnic. Try out a new park for this adventure.
- Go fishing. Most kids LOVE the idea of fishing so this is a great activity to take on as a family.
- Go skating. Ice or roller skating, just make sure everyone has on a pair of skates and is ready for fun.
- Sit down as a family and plan your fall garden. Let everyone have a say in what is planted this fall.
- Take one last trip to a beach.
- Go to the library and check out a few new books to get the kids ready for school.
- Route a new family walk for your evening family walks.
- If you have a dog, try out your local dog park! This is a great opportunity to let your family pet enjoy family time as well!
- Volunteer at your local food bank.
- Take a class together as a family. A cooking class, a painting class, etc.
- Cook out night. Make your entire meal on the grill and then eat outside!
- Make a lemonade stand and have all proceeds go to the charity of your choice.
- Play soccer together. See who can get the most balls past mom or dad while they play goalie.
- Water games in the backyard. Sprinkler fun, water balloons, and water guns!
- Attend a minor or major league baseball game before the season ends!
- Attend a college or NFL training camp day.
- Go to a local water park or even a neighborhood park with a splash pad area.
- Have a baking day. As a family bake breads and muffins for fast easy breakfasts during the back to school crazy morning rush!
- Photo day- Give your kids their own disposable cameras and let them take pictures of family members in their own way. Get the pictures developed and make a memory book.
What is most important about this month is that you spend it with the people you love. You do not have to do a big expensive extravagant event, most of what I posted is free. Your kids will remember the fun they had and you will remember all the smiles and giggles, not the amount of money you spent on your family adventures.
So, get out there this month and make the most of the last bit of summer and enjoy Family Fun Month!