When I went to my first BlogHer I totally over packed.
I freaked basically thinking I needed anything and everything that people suggested or that I thought I needed.
I ended up with way more than I ever needed.
I thought I would come and share with you guys what I am packing this year and why I think these items are essential when packing for BlogHer.
- Clothes. Duh, right? No really, COMFY clothes is the key. DO NOT worry about impressing anyone. Come as you normally are, do not put on a show. Be yourself! Now you WILL want maybe one or two dresses for the party or at the very least your nicest top and pants. It is going to be HOT in NYC so keep that in mind when packing. You seriously only need one outfit per day. use the same PJ’s for your whole stay and to be honest, no one will notice if you wear the same party dress both nights.
- Comfy Shoes. COMFY. Heels are impressive and make a statement but they also will make your feet beg for mercy with all the walking involved at BlogHer. I suggest flip flops. My favorite shoe!
- Power Strip. You walk into a session and all but one of the outlets are taken. Be a good person and plug in your extra power strip so others can recharge! My favorite is this Belkin Mini Surge/USB Charger. So if you sit next to me at a session, this will be plugged in and free for all to use.
- Snacks. This is where I went overboard and seriously thought, “I am not going to have time to eat!”. Not true. You can snack in the Expo plus your meals(breakfast and lunch) are included in your full ticket price. Bring a couple granola bars and/or some nuts and you are good to go. My favorite granola bars are KIND bars. They are awesome! I also plan to bring some pistachios since they are my favorite nut right now.
- Backup batter for your iPhone or whatever smartphone you use. You will be tweeting, face booking, and checking in on FourSquare like CRAZY. Your battery is going to die. Plan ahead. There are many options out there. My favorite however is the Mophie Juice Pack. It not only serves as an extra battery for your iPhone but it is a case also.
- Business Cards. There are tons of deals out there. Make sure they have your site, email, twitter handle, Facebook page and a picture of yourself would be fabulous! You are going to meet ALOT of people so it will be nice to put a face with a site once you get back home.
- Extra suitcase. We hate to pay for our checked bags BUT it is necessary. You will come home with lots of swag! I have a rolling duffle bag that I stuff in my suitcase and pull it out when I am packing to head home. I have also recently heard a tip of bringing a flat rate box flat in your suitcase with some tape, load it up, print a label and the hotel and have the hotel mail it for you.
- Extra Bags to carry swag around the Expo. I LOVE Flip and Tumble Bags. LOVE. They are compact enough to fit in your bag and then once they are loaded down, they do not hurt your shoulders. I had two STUFFED with stuff from the Expo last year and my shoulder did not hurt at ALL carrying it around. I plan to order more as these are also great for grocery store and trips to Target!
- Small Labels. These labels should have your name, site, email address, twitter handle, and maybe even your cell phone. These labels are for the expo. Instead of wasting time filing out this time at the brands booth, slap a label on and talk up with the brand! Small mailing labels work great for this! Make sure the print you choose is legible.
- Bandaids/Blister Block Bandaids. These are pretty self explanatory.
- Refillable water bottle. I love the kind that have a filter built into them.
- Laptop/tablet. Perfect for sessions and of course checking in at home when you get back at the hotel. You can also use old fashion notebook and pen for the sessions if that is your style and you do not want to carry your laptop/tablet around.A voice recorder would be good too but get to the session early so you can get a seat up close.
- Motrin, Tylenol,etc. Whatever is your pain med of choice. You will get a headache at some point. Make sure its the little travel bottle that you can throw in your purse.
- Camera. If you are big into photography you may want to bring your big camera. Personally, I just plan to use my iPhone camera. One less thing for me to carry around.
- Cash. This is for cabs, tips,etc
What are you bringing to BlogHer this year?
See you guys in NYC!
This post contains affiliate links.