I was going to separate this post into different categories but I thought it would all do them all in one post. Keep it simple and pretty sweet.
BlogHer is overwhelming.
With over 4,000 bloggers in one place, it is bound to be overwhelming, loud, and let’s be honest….you will get to a point you want to run screaming from it all. I actually did this one day last year. I went back to my room and began the painful process of packing just to get some peace and quiet.
Here are some tips for making the most out of your time at BlogHer:
- Do not stress over getting to all the parties/events. Things happen. Sit down and really decide which events are your priority and release those tickets for others.
- Do not over schedule. You want to do everything but its impossible and quite stressful to even try.
- Do not weigh yourself down. Only carry the items you REALLY need on you. Laptop/tablet, cell phone, cell phone charger/extra battery, camera(if you brought one), business cards, your BlogHer Badge, and cash/credit card/ID.
- Comfy Shoes. I can NOT stress this enough.
- Be respectful. You might have heard about some “mean” blogger or what have you but they are people and they deserve respect. You deserve respect so make sure you carry yourself appropriately so your peers will show you that respect.
- Say Hello. It may be out of your comfort zone but say hello to someone when you make eye contact.
- Take a deep breath. There will be groups of bloggers together. It will feel like high school all over again. The bright side is you are you, your blog is special and that is why you are here. Take a deep breath and enjoy yourself regardless on if you are invited to sit at the cool table.
- You are going to gain so much at this event.You will grow and build your site. You will make connections with amazing brands and yes you will go home with swag, but the connections you make with your fellow bloggers will be more amazing than those brands. Some of my best friends are bloggers. I cherish them daily.
- Expo Hall: Check the map. Go meet the brands that you want to work with, that fit in your blog. Do not waste your time and try to get to every single booth if it does not fit your niche.
- Smile. You never know who’s day you will brighten with that smile.
- Make some time to sight see. I did not do this last year and I regret it.
- Be prepared to answer the following questions A LOT: 1. What is your blog about? 2. What is your twitter handle?
- Put your appointments on your calendar in your phone IN the TIME ZONE you are in!
- When you meet a big blogger, don’t scream. They will then blog about the crazy person they met.
- Attend the sessions! Find a session or two and sit down to chill! Listen. Learn. THIS is my Blogher exists, not because of the swag.
- You do not have to take every piece os swag you are offered. If it does not interest you/your blog or is something you will use, LEAVE IT! Give it to someone else.
- Be yourself. Do not try to be who you think everyone else wants you to be. We want to get to know the real person behind your blog, not the person you think we want you to be.
Do you have any tips for anyone BlogHer?