Earth Day is Friday, April 22nd this year.
Earth Day is a day that is intended to spread awareness and appreciation for the Earth’s Natural Environment.
Most associate planting a tree with Earth Day. Planting a tree is a great way to show appreciation and awareness for the environment.
There are other things you can do to help make a difference on this Earth Day that are simple and are not expensive.
- Recycle. Find out where you can drop off recyclables if your neighborhood does not offer a pick up. Glass, aluminum, plastic and paper for example. Once you located drop off areas, they can tell you what they accept.
- Reuse. I save gift bags and tissue paper and reuse those for birthday gifts and holidays. I also keep egg cartons and we use those to hold paints for the kids. When i get a boxed package in the mail, I keep the box and packing material to use again. Empty Laundry Detergent bottle? Turn it into a pet food scoop!
- Reduce. Reduce the trash you create. Buy food that is not covered in a ton of packaging. When you buy produce you can get one of these neat mesh bags to put them in or just grab what you need and move on! It does not need to be in a plastic bag when all you are going to do is rip it open and throw it away.
- Remember to use your reusable shopping bags. We all have them. I hear all the time ” I forget to grab them when I go into the store”. So put them where you cant forget! I put them in the front seat of my car, so when I lay my purse on top I see them! No excuses when they are RIGHT THERE!
- Turn off the water!! The water does not need to run when you brush your teeth. Limit your shower time to 5-10 minutes. Use refillable containers to collect rain water to water flowers or your garden.
You can get tons of great Earth Day Printables here for your kids to color and learn about how they can make a difference.
There are so many great Earth Day Crafts you can do as well with your children this year! Now is the time to teach them how to take care of our world.
Here is a great checklist to help your family go green this Earth Day.
Do you have any activities planned for your family to celebrate?