We made these for my son’s 4th birthday party this weekend. We had a Halloween themed party this year and it was a lot of fun! The kids really enjoyed these super cute cupcakes.
I know what you are thinking. “Man those look like they took forever!”. Really….They took no time. I baked the cupcakes on Friday and also dipped the marshmallows in chocolate and added the eyes. The marshmallow heads sat in the fridge over night so all I had to do on the day of the party was ice the cupcakes, add the hair and tic tacs. Simple. Seriously.
I skipped adding the pudding center to the cupcakes. I thought they would be delicious and sweet enough for the kids.
- Frankenstein Cupcakes- recipe via Family Fun
- 2 dozen cupcakes from your favorite recipe
- 3.4-ounce box of vanilla-flavored instant pudding
- green food coloring
- 1 cup of green melting candy (we used Wilton Candy Melts)
- 24 large marshmallows
- waxed-paper-lined baking sheet
- M&M’s Minis
- small serrated knife
- chocolate frosting
- black gel
- 2 green Tic Tac mints
- Bake and cool 2 dozen cupcakes from your favorite recipe. Prepare a 3.4-ounce box of vanilla-flavored instant pudding. Stir in drops of green food coloring until you have a shade you like, then place it in the refrigerator to chill.
- Next, microwave 1 cup of green melting candy (we used Wilton Candy Melts, available at party supply stores) for 1 minute at 50 percent power, then stir. If necessary, heat in 15-second intervals until completely melted. One at a time, spear 24 large marshmallows with a skewer and roll them in the melted candy, coating the sides. Set them on a waxed-paper-lined baking sheet, add M&M’s Minis for eyes, and place them in the refrigerator to chill.
- With a small serrated knife, remove a 1-inch-wide chunk from the center of each cupcake. Fill each hole with a tablespoon or so of the pudding, then spread chocolate frosting around each pudding hole.
- Cover each pool of pudding with a chilled marshmallow. Add black gel facial features and 2 green Tic Tac mints for bolts.
- Finally, top each monster head with a bit of frosting and muss with your finger or a fork. Keep the cupcakes chilled until serving time.