If you have been around here a while, you know my favorite food is Mexican.
Anything. I love it all. Breakfast, lunch, and dinner. 365 days a year.
I am always looking to recreate something I have had outside them home right in my own kitchen.
Enter. Pork Carnitas.
My family devoured this! Meaning I need to double the recipe so I will actually have some leftovers the next day!
- 4 pounds boneless pork butt, trimmed of fat and cut into 2" cubes
- 1½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TB fresh lime juice
- 1 whole onion, peeled and halved
- 1 whole orange, juiced- Keep the Halves
- 2 Cups water
- Preheat Oven to 300 degrees with oven rack set in the middle.
- Combine all ingredients into a dutch oven(cast iron pot with lid will work). Include the orange halves you saved.
- Bring pot to a simmer uncovered, over medium low heat.
- Once the pot begins to simmer, cover and move to the oven.
- Cook in the oven until the meat falls apart easily with a fork, about 2 hours.
- Remove pot from oven and turn on your broiler.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the meat and place on a large jelly roll pan that is lined with foil.
- Remove everything from the pot except the cooking liquid which should be around 1 cup.
- Place the pot with the cooking liquid on the stove over high heat to reduce.
- While it is reducing use a form to pull the meat into smaller pieces.
- Once your liquid has become thick like a syrup, add the meat back in and stir. Try not to break up the meat any further. Be gentle.
- Spread the meat onto the jelly roll pan in a single layer.
- Put under your broiler until the meat is well browned, 5-8 minutes.
- Flip the meat with a spatula and repeat, browning under the broiler until well browned.
- Serve with warm corn tortillas, cilantro, pico, or other favorite toppings.
Add this one to your next Tex-Mex Night! I promise it will not disappoint!Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 My Kinda Rain | Houston Mom Blog | Travel Blogger
Latest posts by Lori (see all)
- Jerky-King Beef Jerky Breakdown - May 27, 2016
- Marvel’s Teaser Trailer for Doctor Strange is Here! - April 13, 2016
- Captain America: Civil War- New Trailer - March 16, 2016