My kids love those easy boxed meals in most stores these days, but I like to keep them out of my kitchen as much as possible.
One of their favorites is a mac and cheese mixed with ground beef so I knew that was the first one I had to try to recreate and get a thumbs up from the kiddos.
This one is simple and delicious! And let’s be honest, only using one pot to cook the meal in is a big bonus! Who wants to spend their evenings doing dishes?!
- 1 TB EVOO
- ½ onion, chopped
- 1TB Chili Powder
- 1 TB Cumin
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 TB Brown Sugar
- 1 pound of ground meat of your choice(beef, turkey, etc)
- 2 cups of water
- 15oz can tomato sauce, no salt added
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 8oz. Mexican Blend shredded cheese
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Saute onion, chili, cumin and a touch of salt in the EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil)for 5-7 minutes.
- Add Garlic and Sugar to pan. Stir to combine.
- Add in your ground meat and cook through.
- **If you use an extra fatty meat, you will need to drain your meat when it is cooked through. You do not want all that fat in your dish. I used a very lean ground beef so I did not have to drain mine.
- Add the water, tomato sauce and uncooked pasta.
- Cover and cook for 12 minutes, stirring often to keep the pasta from sticking together.
- Remove from heat, add 8oz of cheese and stir.
- Serve this one pot dish warm!
What is your favorite boxed dinner meal and have you tried to recreate it at home? Or would you like me to try to replicate it and post?Click here for reuse options!
Copyright 2015 My Kinda Rain | Houston Mom Blog | Travel Blogger
Latest posts by Lori (see all)
- Jerky-King Beef Jerky Breakdown - May 27, 2016
- Marvel’s Teaser Trailer for Doctor Strange is Here! - April 13, 2016
- Captain America: Civil War- New Trailer - March 16, 2016